Thursday 8 July 2010

A few of my favourite things

Since I’ve been moaning about my total lack of grooming and beauty nous, a fair few PRs have taken pity on me. I think it offends their sensibilities to think of someone who has just given up quite so completely. They see me as a challenge.  Or maybe they just feel really really sorry for me.  The good/bad thing about being freelance and working from home in a small rural place is that really there is no-one to notice if I just let it all hang out; if I grow a moustache and my jowls start slapping my shoulders.


But of late I have noticed myself avoiding mirrors and using my forearms to sand down wood. So I did think it was time (maybe) to make just a little effort.

You’ve already read of my adventures in tan-land. Okay, so now I’m back to vampire-white but at least I know that, should I ever find the energy again, I CAN look sunkissed and healthy.

Meanwhile, I’ve been playing with lots of beauty products. I wouldn’t normally blog about this kind of thing but, as so many of you seen to like my recommendations on Twitter, I figured I should really do some naming, cheering, blaming and shaming.

So, without further ado – these are the things I really really LOVE.

• iS Clinical Hydra-Cool serum. This stuff is pure magic. I had nasty broken capillaries under my eyes (yes, yes, I know it’s too much alcohol and too little sunscreen). Don’t ask me how but this stuff removed them. Honest, guv. Don’t blame me if it doesn’t work for you but....well, I’m a convert. 

• Origins – Never a Dull Moment skin-brightening face polisher. I mainly love this for the smell. All exotic fruits.  Yum. Basically it’s gritty and exfoliates the face, scrubs off the dead cells etc. Does a good job too. Can’t say that others don’t do it equally well but...hey, you scrub your face AND smell like a fruit daquiri (works for me).

• Aromatherapy Associates Overnight Repair Mask. You probably get it by now – I LOVE their stuff. To bits. Have been a fan of their bath and body oils for years upon years. But their skincare range is a bit of a revelation. It’s all good but this stuff is The Business. I confess I use it like night cream. Smells fab too.

Airbase foundation. Makeup artists use this with a spray gun and I bet the results are stunning (I splash it on with my fingers - be warned, shake it first and be careful - it's very runny). It smells a bit like greasepaint but really does give mega smooth coverage. Would be too heavy for young skins I reckon but for those of us of a certain age....

Mineralogie radiance bronzer. I really like all their mineral makeup range but this is so summery – I know I’m kidding myself but I almost feel like a 20-something festival goer with a sprinkle on my shoulders and over the nose. Yeah, I know, totally utterly deluded.

• love + art orange flower body milk. A new company using organic essential oils in their products. Orange flower is just THE feelgood scent for me and this is light and so uplifting. I keep it on my desk and pop some on my arms every so often for a boost.

• Barielle Shades nail varnish. My recession-busting beauty tip. If you’re feeling fed up (I am an expert, trust me) this is the treat for you. Cheap as chips but brings an instant smile to the face. I’m into uber-sophisticated Belly Dance (beige with a subtle shimmer) on my fingernails and Night Moves (shiny shiny silver) on my toes. Happy, happy.

The jury’s out....

At the moment I am testing Jan Marini Eyelash conditioner. My eyelashes have packed their bags and gone to the Maldives so am trying to lure them back. Apparently it takes about three months, so bear with me...


So totally didn’t do it for me

* L’Occitane’s Brightening Moisture Cream. You wipe it on and two minutes later it rubs off – in big lumps. Maybe that’s the idea but somehow I don’t think so. Perhaps they should relabel it ‘face peeling mask’...

* Daniel Sandler Retexturising Face Primer.  Maybe I'm asking too much but this promises it will neutralise my imperfections while giving foundation a fault-free base.  Hmm, I didn't notice any difference, truth to tell.

What are your absolute must-haves?  The stuff you will still shell out for when times are tough?  And what have you tried which really didn't live up to its hype?  I think my major 'what a waste of money' has to be Creme de la Mer.  Felt like cold cream to me and didn't make one iota of difference.  :(

13 comments:

Sessha Batto said...

I have to admit, I don't wear makeup and have never had a manicure. But I swear by the tried and true oil of olay - the age rejuvenating face cloths have kept my skin soft (when the rest of me turned into ancient lizard lady) and the spf 45 moisturizer is light enough that I actually wear it (and, thus - hopefully - avoid skin cancer). For cheap tried and true I've found them better than most of the overpriced chichi brands.

Exmoorjane said...

Ah, that brings back memories - my mum used to use Oil of Olay when I was a kid. Hmm, why not use the face cloths all over body??!

Think you're right - it's not always money - creme de la mer is a true case in point. Forgot to say that argan oil (cheap as chips) is also a HUGE favourite of mine as facial oil.

Jon Storey said...

Plenty there for me to go at then!

Excuse me, I'm off to Boots....

Expat mum said...

I quite like my ROC night stuff, but who knows if it works? I mean what would I have looked like if I didn't use it?

Exmoorjane said...

Jon: oooh, product placement! *LOL* You'd look good in Night Moves!

Expat: that's the trouble... I never use the same stuff for a long time - so can usually tell when something works or not.

Elizabeth Musgrave said...

Pycnogenol facial cleanser and moisturiser from Victoria Health. Obviously I love it partly because it sounds like the small sidekick of Noggin the Nog but also wonderful at controlling redness and rosacea inclinations. Beats anything you can get on prescription or pay thousands for.

Caroljs said...

Has to be Clinque Clarifying Lotion, I make sure every time some one is going away abroad they buy me a big bottle from duty free.

Lara said...

I stick to Clarins for face care - I am so allergic to stuff that I dare not change to anything else - Clinique peeled my face off!
I love the Beauty Flash balm, especially in the winter, or when I am hungover.....

I did laugh at Expat Mum "who knows what I'd look like if I didn't use it" - so true

Now where's the fake tan........

Rob-bear said...

Interesting post, but not the kind of thing that appeals to a Bear. I can't do much with my skin, since it's hidden under my elegant fur.

English Mum said...

I'm going to try that serum stuff! I'm addicted to Estee Lauder (sorry, can't find the acute accented e on this laptop) DayWear Plus Sheer Tint Release moisturiser.

It's oddly grey, but it seems to adapt itself to your skin tone and leaves you looking all healthy. It smells of cucumber too.

I also love Benefit Hula bronzer - no shine and makes you look all glowy x

Suzie Grogan said...

First time visitor - great blog! I love Neals Yard Frankinscence Nourishing cream (bit pricey though)and Clinique foundations.Apparently we could save our money and just drink gallons of water a day. Good idea, but not a great way to pamper yourself...

Tattieweasle said...

The only thing has to be Vaseline facial cream and that's it and sometimes cream for my hands - vaseline again. Though I have been known to splash out on Nivea!

Posie said...

Well I have been working my way through the little freebie Estee Lauder pots my mum sent in my direction, and although usually can't be faffed I have made a special effort to actually use them, mainly to clear space in the make up basket...and they are working...wrinkles around eyes are disappearing somewhat...of course would need a mortgage to keep up this high maintenance routine once the pots all run out though....